Fulfilled in Jesus

Our pilgrimage with our Beloved in Japan -- Yoko & Ramone on the journey with Jesus!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Makoto Fujimura on Da Vinci's "The Last Supper"


Come and See: Leonardo da Vinci's Philip in The Last Supper, by Makoto Fujimura (click picture to read full article)

Come and See: Leonardo da Vinci's Philip in The Last Supper
By Makoto Fujimura

The glass door automatically shut behind us as the guide motioned us to enter the inner chamber. We waited, and as another door opened, the cool, dry air enveloped us; a contrast to the hot, July heat in Milan. The courtyard of St. Maria delle Grazie sparkled outside in the morning sun, and I wondered if Leonard da Vinci stood upon the same rocks that I saw here, 500 years later.

Because of the Da Vinci Code phenomenon, I had received several inquiries to see if I could comment on the book and the movie, and my mind seemed to wander back to the same problem: "I have never seen Leonardo's 'The Last Supper' in person... how could I comment on something that I have not seen?" Yes, I own a magnified version of the photograph of the painting, represented in a magnificent book by The University of Chicago (440 pages of delight). And I have pondered the image as I have thought much about Andy Warhol's series by the same title. Yes, I had seen a reproduction of Leonardo's 'The Last Supper'.

But I never had stood under it. So I came to Milan, Italy, to stand-under a painting...

...This is why we all need to travel to Milan, just for a momentary decompression, to stand-under Christ who is about to reach for that bread of communion. Like Leonardo, we may even desire to participate in that evening, in the suffering of the one and only true Artist, and follow him to the vanishing point, the source of our bright countenance...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home