Fulfilled in Jesus

Our pilgrimage with our Beloved in Japan -- Yoko & Ramone on the journey with Jesus!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Loving our money or neighbors


Yoko recorded a segment of news here about the immigration debate (crisis?) in America right now. We're watching it right now.

I saw some protesters chanting "illegals go home" and a Colorado politican talking about not using our taxes to give them help. Lord, I couldn't help thinking how ugly we look when we say such things.

Others are upset because illegal immigrants work for less money and companies aren't hiring as many citizens (who would have to be paid more). They complain of this and their anger is directed at the Mexicans? Their answer is to make them go home? Why are they not angry at their greedy bosses? If American bosses and companies had "ethics", "values", "morals", and cared about "families", then they wouldn't exploit illegal immigrants. Can you blame a man who is poor for working as hard as he can whether he makes a lot or not? The problem is not the workers, the problem is the bosses.

In the long run maybe we should ask why they come to America. Of course we can build a higher "wall" on our border. But perhaps if we "loved our neighbors as we love ourselves" we might consider that were Mexico a better place for them, they might not come over in droves.

Anyway, I just can't stand it when we're so concerned about our money, our tax money, etc., more than we're concerned about people. It makes me angry, ashamed, and it makes me feel sick. I get just a small glimpse of what Martin Luther King was talking about when he said why he chose love (see this quote).

P.S. I wish I knew how my great-grandparents came to America. That would've been the late 1800s or early 1900s, and I'm sure laws were different then. But I wish I knew. They were Mexican, too, and I'm half.

"Este mandamiento nuevo les doy: que se amen los unos a los otros. Asi como yo los he amado, tambien ustedes deben amarse los unos a los otros. De este modo todos sabran que son mis discipulos, si se aman los unos a los otros."

4 Comments:

  • At May 16, 2006 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you touched on a very sensitive subject, on the one hand one can understand those wanting to work, on the other hand there are thousands who have waited patiently in their countries to get visas to come to this country to work. on the one hand they come and take jobs no one seems to want to do, on the other hand, if they paid more then more 'natives'
    might take these jobs. on the one hand they overload our hospitals for free medical care, on the other hand the forged ss cards and driver's licenses send the taxes they pay into social security never more to ever get any benefits. on the one hand most want to learn english, on the other hand they have an inner city where the spanish language remains dominant.

    one thing sure, a more fairer way has to be developed...

     
  • At May 17, 2006 1:39 PM, Blogger Ramone said…

    I wish all of my American brothers & sisters could experience living in another country. Not everyone knows what it feels like to be a minority, let alone one who is not popular with the majority. In Japan foreigners are sometimes discriminated against, sometimes not. There are suspicious attitudes, but they are mostly disappearing as the country becomes more international.

    One of my co-workers yesterday said that America is like a melting-pot, and Canada is like a mosaic. In America people are more expected to merge and assimilate, she said, but in Canada the parts do not have to change, but instead are put next to each other and retain their color/design.

    In Japan I've been blessedly accepted by people here and there is little pressure to conform. It's amazing that so many people here try to speak English to me and don't look down on me when I can't speak Japanese---whereas in America people may be upset if a foreigner doesn't speak English.

    I must add that I did not learn clearly that I was half-Mexican until I was well into my mid-twenties. Growing up in a divorced family I looked "white" and identified (and *was identified*) with caucasians. I wanted to think that things and attitudes were equal, and I thought that people who pointed out problems were themselves the problem! But when I came to live here, I learned to see through the eyes of a minority, and I began to understand (I hope) how many minorities feel in America.

    Finally, again the answer is to love our neighbors more than we love the requirements we put on them. Unconditional love. Not that you will be loved "if" you do this and this, but rather that you *are* loved because you are a human whom God has considered precious enough to die for, because you are a sister and brother of mine.

     
  • At May 17, 2006 1:45 PM, Blogger Ramone said…

    I am curious, also, about the many people who are "concerned" about the issue... have they had any contact or personal interaction with "these people" (illegal immigrants)?

    Without telling them to change their views, I would suggest that they *get involved* with helping the people and somehow actively caring about them, even if that means helping them go back to their birth-country.

    If they do not get involved or have had little or no contact, however, then it is a fateful and frightful thing to be campaigning for the control of the destiny of a people that you haven't met or learned to care for.

     
  • At July 02, 2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Living in a small Texas town, I hear a lot of the sort of thing you mention. In fact, a couple of teachers at my last position didn't like me because they said that I "treated the Mexican kids special." I did speak to some kids in Spanish, and try to help them pass their classes, but I will help anyone who asks. I am an ESL teacher, though, and assisting kids who don't speak English well does happen to be my speciality. :-)

    Still, I have struggled with this issue. I tell myself over and over that Jesus mandates that we love our neighbor. I have been denied several jobs because I am not a minority--yes, the supervisors actually told me that! When I have the responsibility of supporting my family, it is difficult not to become resentful. I have fought against racism my entire life, and it seems that here it is on my side. It is much easier to help the underdog than to be it in my field.

    That said, one of my sons is half Mexican--my ex-husband was a Mexican national. Hypocritically, I work the system, putting him down as "Hispanic" on the forms, because here, minorities get to transfer schools easier, and I want him to go to the best. And then there are scholarships...

    Some days I just try not to think about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home