Fulfilled in Jesus

Our pilgrimage with our Beloved in Japan -- Yoko & Ramone on the journey with Jesus!

Friday, April 15, 2005

True Repentance!


Hallelujah! God is wonderful! He is so amazing! So joyful!

Is that what we usually say when we introduce the subject of repentance? Don't we usually have the idea that repentance means trying to feel sorry for your sins and promising God to try to do better? No wonder repentance is no relief to us and is such a heavy subject. Repentance is not about feeling guilty for your wrongs.

I was telling my wife about the latest post I finally completed for my Jesus Otaku blog, which is about a man in Yamaguchi 450 years ago whose heart's eyes were opened to believe in Jesus because he saw a preacher endure being spat upon. He and the other residents of the city had all spoken well of the Christian truths, etc., but no one wanted to give their life to Jesus. The humiliation of the preacher opened the eyes of their hearts. Moral of the story? God's kindness leads us to repentance. We become truly sorry for our sins not by staring at them and trying to feel more sorry for them, but instead we really repent for them when we understand that God has already forgiven us! It is seeing God's grace already given to us that melts our hearts! It is seeing that Christ knew ahead of time that we would sin, but He died for us and forgave us anyway. Praise You, God!

Repentance. As I told my wife about the post on the Jesus Otaku blog, I began talking about real repentance. It's something I learned (thank God!) from this booklet on the Worldwide Church of God's website: "Getting a Grip on Repentance". You should read it! Especially if you were/are like me, often trying to feel guilty and "try harder" after falling or yielding to temptation.

Repentance is not that. Repentance simply put is when you realize that your efforts aren't enough, when you see that trying harder has failed you and will fail you again. It's realizing that you need God because you can't
do it! Hallelujah! It is saying, "God I can't do it, I've tried and I failed, and I'm afraid I'll fail again. I don't know how, but I will depend on You now." It's the same as being saved: you choose to let Him do it instead of your works. Repentance is when you realize you need Him; it's when you see it from His point of view -- how things really are instead of your illusions that you can do it. Hallelujah!

Isn't repentance exciting? He has already forgiven us, and simply waits for us to depend on Him! Yes, we've failed at depending on Him in the past, yes we've fallen and yielded to temptation -- that's what qualifies us for His grace! We are insufficient, but He Himself will be our sufficiency!

Repentance -- God, I need You! It's not me, not about me and me changing, but it's about You! I trust You and believe You can change me, help me believe it's all about You and that You can change me! I trust You now and choose to believe it, Lord!

3 Comments:

  • At April 25, 2005 3:25 AM, Blogger CoLor Skemes said…

    Ramone! I need help. On the right site of your Blog, you have a list of places to click-- other websites. I want to do that but with a list of my Friends (like the one you have)... So... HOW DO I DO IT? =(

     
  • At May 05, 2005 10:26 PM, Blogger Ramone said…

    Friday, April 15, 2005 (Xanga)

    Repentance! It's cool! You're cool, God!

    God, how I need You! Even this morning, just languishing in the futon, temptation creeps up on me! But I know You are with me, and Your hands are under me. Thank You God for being You, for being so BIG, so LOVING, so AWESOME, and so HOLY! Holy! Holy God!

    And thank You for the picture!! *wink*

     
  • At October 17, 2005 10:04 AM, Blogger Ramone said…

    See the "bigger" picture...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home