Fulfilled in Jesus

Our pilgrimage with our Beloved in Japan -- Yoko & Ramone on the journey with Jesus!

Monday, January 03, 2005

Driving Miss Daisy


Note about reviews - see comments.

"Driving Miss Daisy"
1989 - Morgan Freeman, Jessica Tandy, Dan Aykroyd
Directed by Bruce Beresford, written by Alfred Uhry (based on his play)
Rated PG



What can you say about a movie like this? It's a short, beautiful story of two lives. You forget they're actors, and it's like you drop in on them and watch them for a good part of their lives. Sure, you don't see everything, but you don't need to.

You know that sometimes the things between chapters of a book don't need to be written down, just like all of your memories don't need to be written down. That doesn't make your memories less precious or less real. The time passed and the moments were special, and maybe that's the reason you don't write things down. You smile as you keep the memories to yourself. When you're ready to share, you will, and if you don't, that's okay.

That's what Hoke (Morgan Freeman) and Miss Daisy (the late Jessica Tandy) know -- without seeming to try to know it. Maybe it's what you learn with age. And age is what they've got plenty of. Hoke himself ought to be retired, but he needs a job and Boolie Werthan (Dan Aykroyd) needs a driver for his mother. Yes, she's grumpy, stubborn and proud, but Hoke has a good sense of patience, humor, and something else which I can't find a word to describe.

Perhaps I could call it experience, but different men learn different things from their experiences, and not all are like Hoke. What is it that he's learned? I can't say, but it's beautiful in a quiet, patient and humble way.

Of course, he isn't the only one who learns in the story. Hoke respects Daisy and becomes a friend to her through his patience and care, and she learns to trust again. It's not a complete change of character. She still complains and perhaps Hoke is the only one who she treats halfway well. But sometimes you don't need to change the whole person. One ray of light, of love, into someone's life may be enough. Maybe that's what Hoke knew.

Read Roger Ebert's insightful and more detailed review here.

1 Comments:

  • At January 10, 2005 11:51 PM, Blogger Ramone said…

    Note about reviews on this site: I didn't know how often I would do reviews, but watching "The Cider House Rules" prompted me to give it a try.

    However, the other day we watched "Shaolin Soccer" on TV and I decided not to review it (least of all because it was in Chinese with Japanese subtitles, and I can't understand Japanese yet). Although I did have a few comments about it, I thought it wouldn't fit the nature of how I've laid out this site.

    For the same reason I've opted not to review "Mickey Blue Eyes", which we watched tonight (1/10). And also because the trailer was much, much better than the movie itself!

    So rather than feeling obligated to review
    every movie we watch, I decided to adhere to the most professional of criteria by only reviewing movies we really, really like. So there!

    As for the original "Cider House" review, I've removed it since it took up a lot of space and wasn't that great of a review anyway. While I loved the kids & scenery in the movie, it's not one I would call a favorite or even recommend for discussion since it doesn't quite present its argument very well. But by all means, if you'd like to see it back up, I can do that.

    Having said all that, I leave you in the care of Hoke & Miss Daisy. 'nite!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home