Fulfilled in Jesus

Our pilgrimage with our Beloved in Japan -- Yoko & Ramone on the journey with Jesus!

Monday, December 20, 2004

New Stuff & Beethoven


Hey!

You know, when I type up something lengthy, and put cool pictures on it, like this post, part of me mourns the idea of writing new things! Oh well.

You might notice a new link above our picture on the right, called "Agapetos, listen...". This is a link to my new Xanga site. My friend Sara had set up her site, and to leave a comment on it I had to register for one of their sites (hmm, sounds like Blogger, eh?). Then my friend Leila went and visited my Xanga site before I did and left a comment on my site about it being empty, haha. So I decided to just put a link on it to this page, but lo and behold, Xanga is pretty darn easy to use! Although I don't think I'll go to the trouble of figuring out their different templates & ways to put up pictures, since I've figured out a little bit of how to use Blogger here. But I will use the Xanga site for ... well, kind of like a diary or something? I don't know, was that what this site was supposed to be? The Xanga site will be less nice-looking, more of my inner searchings and needs. I added the word "listen" here because maybe it can be a place where I write when I need to stop and listen to God and see things from His perspective.



Yesterday, my wife and I went to a performance of Beethoven's 9th symphony in East Osaka. Our friend Miyoko was an alto in the choir and had given us free tickets. It was my second time seeing the 9th, which has to be one of the most enjoyable symphonies to watch. We sat in the balcony and were really amused to watch how Beethoven would throw a tune between different instrument sections, or have one section say something and then another respond. That PDQ Bach recording of the 5th symphony came to mind.

The night before, I played the 9th on our stereo for Yoko and pointed out how at the beginning of the famous 4th movement, the storm begins and then the cellos & basses start talking. The other sections respond by offering the themes from each of the previous 3 movements, and each time the cellos & basses say, "nope, not that one." Finally when the "Ode to Joy" theme comes, the cellos & basses say, "Yes, that's it!" It's also funny to note that when the 3rd movement theme is offered, the cellos & basses seem sleepy and have to wake themselves up to reject it.

The choir also sang some Japanese songs, which I think my friend Scott Arany might have enjoyed. The first set of songs were poems about nature, set to music by a Japanese Christian man who also wrote many Japanese hymns. The second set had many children's songs and things that Yoko hadn't heard since she was very young, and they were amusing at times. Then came the 9th symphony. The audience was mostly relatives, I think, and didn't know they shouldn't clap between movements. Oh well. (^_^) But the noise! They made a lot of rustling and plastic unwrapping, etc. I miss the Kennedy Center! At the end of the show they did an encore number in Japanese, and after that the audience joined the choir in singing a well-loved Christmas song...



...Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer! Yes, that was interesting. Although in Japanese they can't squeeze the name "Rudolph" into the lyrics, so it's just the red-nosed reindeer song. Yoko was excited to learn his name, hehehe.

I hear some sparrows outside... we live next to a Mister Donut building. We're on the 5th floor, but 'Misu-do' only goes to the third floor, so Yoko likes to toss some bread crumbs on the roof for sparrows to eat. But they're shy... whenever we open the windows to watch, they fly away. When they do come, though, we can hear them, like now.

Talk to you later! God bless you!

3 Comments:

  • At December 25, 2004 1:39 PM, Blogger Ramone said…

    I've also changed the picture on the top right. The "yukata" picture can still be seen here. Yukata's are for the summertime! And it's getting mighty chilly in Osaka now, so I thought I'd put up the new picture. It's from my birthday in November, when Yoko and her sister Michi took me to a "French Cafe" in Nishitanabe (not far from the wonderful Jesus Family church).

     
  • At April 09, 2005 5:08 PM, Blogger Ramone said…

    It's a new season, so I got rid of the "in winter, hide in a cafe" picture (cafe family), but you can see it still here

    April 9, 2005

     
  • At July 05, 2005 12:28 PM, Blogger Ramone said…

    Another new season, but rainy!

    The old picture, "Welcome Springtime" can be seen here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home